61.8M Reasons To Be Ready For Contactless
Every day across the UK, automatic fare collection and real-time data management systems developed by Parkeon are helping bus operators meet the needs of millions of their customers.
From vehicle hardware innovations and mobile platforms to cloud-based back office support and open payments systems, Parkeon is creating value for public transport operators while simultaneously improving the passenger experience.
Now the company is helping bus operators prepare to reap the benefits of the contactless payment revolution, with the UK Cards Association confirming that 61.8m debit cards with ‘contactless’ capability are now in circulation.
Parkeon is set to play a key role as the UK’s leading ticketing technology partner for the bus sector in rolling out systems which will help deliver the industry’s vision of contactless travel across the board by 2022.
“Contactless technology not only makes travel more convenient for customers, it also opens up significant operational and marketing opportunities for bus operators,” says Gavin Trimnell, Parkeon’s Head of Sales and Marketing.
“Data collected by contactless payment methods will be extremely valuable to operators in creating a product portfolio that is more customer and retail-focused. It opens up opportunities for bus companies to optimise their investment in ticketing and real-time data management by responding more quickly to market trends.”
Moving into the contactless era does present operators with challenges, but Parkeon possesses the experience and technology to ensure that hardware, data transfer systems and back office security deliver a future-proofed return on investment.
The company has recently been involved in the launch of one of the first on-bus contactless payment systems outside London, supporting Transdev Blazefield in the roll-out of a contactless EMV reader, approved to the necessary banking standards, integrated with Parkeon’s Wayfarer200 driver console.
- Wayfarer6: Parkeon’s next generation driver console boasts a high performance 32 bit processor for fast transaction processing and printing. The technology provides barcode reading capability, 4G connectivity, location-aware SatNav/route learning, and a touchscreen option. Additionally, it offers automatic destination updating, 2-way driver messaging, RTI and fleet management, along with sophisticated third party integration covering scheduling systems, vehicle telematics, voice radio systems, CCTV and passenger Wi-Fi.
- Cloud-based back office: Parkeon has developed a cloud-based back office solution with the ability to transform connectivity between on-vehicle ticketing consoles and real-time data linked to fleet management, route adherence and customer information. Both the Wayfarer6 and Wayfarer200 communicate in real-time with the back office, enabling web-based reporting and system configuration.
- Open payments: From Apple Pay and barcode reading to ITSO smart cards and contactless bank cards, Parkeon is at the forefront of open payment systems that offer efficiency for operators and convenience for consumers…all underpinned by banking protocols that ensure security in every area of transaction and reconciliation.
- Parkeon CloudFare®: This open payments pathway enables operators of every size to move easily from cash, ITSO and commercial smart card transactions to EMV contactless, mobile payments, account-based ticketing and smart device fare collection.
- Mobile: From passenger information to mobile payments, Parkeon provides mobile systems and apps that meet the needs of both ‘generation m’ and operators, while simultaneously delivering the real-time information that feeds displays, apps and live web-based bus location tracking in Google Transit.